Yes, the PGC3 Geek Olympathon is upon us.
PDXYAR will be taking part in the festivities again this year as we return with both the epic Liar’s Dice Tournament as well as the Ye Olde Scallywag Hunt! This year you will be competing for gold, silver or bronze coins. Those coins are worth 30, 20 and 10 points and at the end of the day you will turn in your coins to determine your overall placement in the Olympathon. Read on for the details of how PDXYAR can help you achieve geek glory.
One member of each team will play against four pirates in a five player game. Each game will last roughly 20 minutes.
There will be two location where Liar’s Dice will be played:
10am – 1pm at the Backspace Cafe
2pm – 5pm at the Magic Gardens (21+)
Don’t be intimidated if you have never played Liar’s Dice. Our pirate trainers are standing by to teach the ways of the game!
Ye Olde Scallywag Hunt
Think of it is a scavenger hunt, but instead of looking for a thing, you are hunting pirates! We will post clues to Twitter and Facebook on which member of the PDXYAR crew you are to find and you will race the other teams to find them. Each round will start with posting photos of your targets and will be followed by three clues, the first being the hardest, and getting progressively easier. The object is to find the scallywag and post of photo of you with them to Twitter or Facebook.
Your reward for achieving this lofty goal is a shiny coin. We will award gold, silver and bronze coins to the first, second and third team to find and post a photo with the target. This year we are making a modification to the rules: each team can only be awarded one coin. We will run four rounds of the game, so everyone will get a chance for the GOLD!
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t forget to use the Twitter hashtag #olympathon throughout the event and #scallywaghunt for during our competition. #olympathon trended huge last year, let’s do it again!
- To make sure you get all the clues, Follow @PDXYAR on Twitter or “Like” PDXYAR on Facebook.
- When you post the photo of you with the target, make sure to mention or tag PDXYAR so we can be sure to see your victory.
- Just because you see a pirate walking someplace, don’t assume that they will be the next target. We will be employing decoys to ferret out those who might want to get the edge on the competition.
- Wear comfortable shoes and don’t be afraid to hustle. This game was very popular last year so you are likely to be up against some stiff competition.
- Since your team can only get one coin, you might want to employ some game theory. You have 4 rounds to acquire a coin of varying point values, if you see that someone else has won the round do you go for the silver coin and the sure points. or do you wager on being able to get the gold in the next round? The evaluation of risk/reward vs the probabilities of placing should keep you busy for a while.